“I’m on a diet.”
We have all heard it before, but honestly, never for long . Then the statement silently disappears to, all of a sudden, magically appear again. Sounds a lot like stories about the yeti or the Loch Ness Monster, if you ask me. Strange thing, this diet-creature. I must admit, I have never been great at dieting myself. Okay,euphemism … I HATE IT ! But what I do like is healthy, yet tasty food. So women all over the world, why don’t we all give that a try for a change? It helps us to lose those pounds without starving ourselves to death. Sounds nice, doesn’t it?
To start my day in a healthy way, I prefer hot oatmeal. It gives a sense of luxury and lifts your breakfast to the next level. Here is how I prepare it:
Put a pot with 250 ml of almond or rice milk on the stove. When it starts to boil, add 40 grams of oats. Stir constantly until it becomes a thick mass. I like to add one teaspoon of maple syrup, but that is optional. I garnish with some dried coconut flakes, chia seeds and goji berries.
Why add chia seeds? I have 7 good reasons:
- To combat diabetes
- Stock up on Omega 3
- For stronger teeth and bones
- It contains manganese, phosphorus, fiber and protein
- To fight belly fat
- Get full faster
- To improve heart heath
I also have my reasons for adding goji berries:
- They are anti-inflammatory (Beta-sitosterol, an anti-inflammatory agent in goji berries, can help lower cholesterol, protect against heart disease, and promote sexual health)
- They are naturally vitamin rich
- They protect your eyes (Goji berries are one of the richest edible plant sources known for Zeaxanthin, a compound related to vitamin A that has been shown to protect the retina of the eye)
- They promote muscle growth (thanks to the amino acids)
- They enhance immunity
For other incredible oatmeal recipes, check out The Oatmeal Artist.